Saturday 14 March 2009

The build nears completion





Obligatory chain line shot.

It turns out yesterday I was being an idiot. I had the left hand crank on the wrong way round/inside out whatever you want to call it. Anyway it turns out that the axle is millimetre
perfect.
So the cranks have been installed with a modified vice from my drill press to push in the cotter pins. I got the 27" wheels cheap off ebay for £40 the pair. Consequently they're really nothing special. Plain gauge spokes and non-machined alloy rims, they're raleigh branded NOS and seem fine. I've had to re-dish and respace the rear which was set up for a 5-7 speed screw-on freewheel. Given this, at the moment I've put on a singlespeed 16t freewheel to go with the 46t front. When finances allow I'll build a track hub on a 27" rim so that I can run it fixed. I don't subsribe to the loctite and bottom bracket lockring idea; been there got the scars.

The pedals are the original salvaged philips with new bearings, the cones were fine, and they look great for 65 years old!

I chopped three inches off the bars last night with the old pipecutter. unbelievably easier than a hacksaw! I've wrapped the bars with yellow tressostar cloth tape, which, once they're covered in shellac will match a Brooks honey leather saddle, again when finances allow.

I've had a quick test ride, it turns out that I obviously get a lot of power from SPDs, and 16t may have been a bit adventurous, although normally I'm on 48x16 and happy, hmmm. 18t cog coming I think. It's a nice relaxed feeling frame. Certainly not track geometry nippy, but comfortable for steady cruising. So far so good. I'm probably going to leave the bike like this for a while and see how I go. I'll be on the lookout for a leather saddle next payday.

No comments:

Post a Comment